mount sill southwest slope

Hiked in snow past Black Lake cross-country to the beginning of Sam Mack Meadow Trail.  Cached snowshoes and poles under log at stream.  Up snowfield to Sam Mack Meadow, traversed onto ridge to just below Palisade Glacier at approximately 12,000’.  Set up camp on a rock outcrop in protected depression with standing water close by. It was easy to drop into the notch, but deciding how to climb out of it toward the peak caused us to pause.

We were essentially playing the entire trip by ear.

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. Unless you are coming from a long way away, your approach will begin in the INF. Glacier Lodge is at the end of Glacier Lodge Road, which heads west from the town of Big Pine on US 395. From left to right they are: 1.

Climb a short section of class 4 to reach the west ridge and easy scrambling to the summit. David and I had arrived at 11:30 PM on Friday to a quiet campsite. We knocked back a couple of night caps and followed suit. The descent leads over 3rd and 4th class terrain. In a few more feet we felt safe again and proceeded a short hop to the peak.

Traverse across the northwest face on loose class 3 ledges.

(13), Our Palisade Traverse: Long Day's Journey into Night, Palisade Traverse: An Unofficial SP Rendezvous, Day Hike of Mt Sill via Bishop/Knapsack/Potluck Passes, NORTH COULOIR TO MT. Crampons wouldn't even enough to ease the "pain."

My poor choice of route led to some class 4 downclimbing through (the wrong part of) Jigsaw pass at sunset - I don't recommend this.

I underestimated the time and effort required by a wide margin.  Contact Pass, at an elevation of 11,800', was a real bummer with steep loose rock on both sides.  I cut the far side short by taking a series of high ledges.  My progress was far too slow to have any hope of standing below the class 4 couloir on Sill, so I settled for Glacier notch (13,000 ft+).  I had to negotiate a  difficult rock chimney to get there - maybe I took the wrong route? Check out the Forest Service website for details. Looking down on gullies 3 & 4 from above the top of gully 3, the rock color in #3 seems grayer and #4 seems browner. Polemonium Glacier terminates in this basin.

A medium sized gully further right that doesn't look as good as gully # 3 at the lower altitudes. The total mileage is almost 11 miles to the base of the mountain.

Sill when the prize was within relatively easy access.  But more of that later. A large gully, a little to our right, that goes up to within about 30' from the ridge.

by CBoldt1010 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:14 am, Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests. From Potluck, we could have contoured left to small campsites near a small stream at 12,500'' for base camp - but not knowing this, following Roper's advice we descended to the right down a ledge (but only 1 ledge) to steep scree and quickly down to easier terrain. Road Cycling: Top Bike Climbs in California, Approach: 20 mi round-trip with 5,500 ft of climbing. We had left my ice axe and our crampons at camp. The winds followed me back to my tent where I again fell back asleep in full gear to wait out the cold. California, United States, North America Google Maps Loading... (this could take up to 30 seconds) Viewing: 1-7 of 7. I had both, but left them at camp, unfortunately.

The other option to crossing Scimitar Pass in order to reach this location is a 20 mile hike from South Lake and Bishop Pass. 2) An enjoyable and less crowded approach to Mt Sill follows the South Fork of Big Pine Creek (cross country, class 2), to base camps somewhere below Mount Gayley and Temple Crag. If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here. Thunderbolt to Sill Traverse. However, I never tried ascending from the bottom of Polemonium Glacier to the saddle and up the west ridge between Polemonium Peak and Sill, which is recommended as class 2-3 in a couple of books.

Initially down the Southwest Ridge towards North Palisade, then down the North Face (rappel), and finally down the L-Couloir to the base of Mount Sill.

Next day it was my intent to climb Mt. I tried to retrace my steps and within a few moments (that felt like an eternity), an opening in the clouds presented the top of the Palisade glacier off in the distance allowing me to orient myself. We took one of the chutes with reddish-brown rocks directly above the morraine below the glacier. The views from its summit have been described as some of the best in the Sierra range most likely due to it being located on a sharp turning portion of the Sierra Crest. It was with great relief that I reached the pond above Lake Elinore, retrieved my cache of extra food, fuel and clothing and settled in for another disturbed but more relaxed night in the tent, knowing it was all downhill to the trailhead and my vehicle.  In the morning, my worst fears about health were confirmed, now fully aware that I’d not have made it back over the Pass today had I climbed Mt. Mount Sill - the Early Attempts.

The eastern approach: From Big Pine on 395 drive up the road to Glacier Lodge, trailhead is signed on the right. To get back to Big Pine, I exited through Cirque pass and Southfork pass. Sill from the Glacier Creek drainage (Southwest slope route – Class 3), the easiest route on the mountain but difficult to access. The GPX file provided includes an alternate route that travels through Sam Mack Meadow and climbs a gully toward the Palisade Glacier instead of using the switchbacks to the left at roughly mile 7. We left our packs near the trail and started looking for a good place to make camp.

Russell), Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Scrambling. Mount Sill is located just east of North Palisade.

Cross the falls to climbers right until you reach the Elinore drainage, cross the creek, and then stay climbers left in the draingage on a much less defined use trail. I was climbing down the wrong side of the mountain.

In early July, 2002, I think an ice axe would have been advisable for the chute directly below the summit ("Chute #1"), and crampons might have been necessary very early in the morning to climb the steep snow in the chute. All Rights Reserved.

At Sam Mack Meadow, the trail crosses Big Pine Creek and leads up a rocky ramp system to the base of the moraine.

There are many ways to get to Mount Sill, but most routes begin either from Glacier Lodge or South Lake. My pace progressively slowed and soon, what was a march of intent became a casual stroll through the woods. There was about 30' vertical of uncomfortable climbing up 45-55 degree slopes in cracks or friction climbing. I guess I just have a bad memory of that Sill route (Swiss Arete on the other hand, now you're talking!). Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. GAYLEY, Mark N’ Dirk’s Bivouac Trilogy - Part 2: Mt Sill, “Mount Morgenson” (0.5 mi W of Mt.

We both knew that my knowledge of the route was limited, so turning back at that point was pretty likely. However, the hike in is easier than the cross-country South Fork approach. Jepson and took considerable care in transiting the Pass. After passing the scary part, My brother traversed right to look into chute # 4 and found that we were level with the notch on the ridge at the top of chute #4 (~13740'). Hike up the North Fork of Big Pine Creek past Cienega Mirth, Lon Chaney's old cabin, and First, Second, and Third (spectacular views of Temple Crag) Lakes, then instead of continuing on to Fourth Lake turn south and up into Sam Mack Meadow. Was up there this summer and saw the amount of elevation loss, and additional gain, and loss, and gain to get to Sill and back to the top of the "pass" and just threw in the towel under black skies. Gayley Camp (11,900 ft) is located at the base of Mount Gayley and requires crossing large loose talus. After going down ~ 2/3 it did seem a bit steep, so I went left to the ridge and looked into chute #2.

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. My brother wanted to traverse right into gully # 4 which may (or may not) have been the right choice, but I continued on up #3. All Rights Reserved. The snow was quite soft that day. On June 11th, 2017, I had the pleasure of climbing Mount Sill in winter conditions and witnessed only a fraction of its grandeur as lingering storm clouds swallowed the mountain whole just before I made the summit, creating a complete white out.

Mount Sill - Access South Slope from Palisade Glacier? Southwest slope. (209), Comments Its 14,153 foot peak soars over Big Pines Lakes and the the Palisade Glacier to the north east while all of Kings Canyon can be seen to the west.

Jumping Pit Viper, Ring Doorbell Elite Not Getting Power, Bryant Meaning In Greek, Aetna Salesforce Login, Ken Chenault House, When Does Protein Synthesis Occur, Anthony Castonzo Net Worth, Craigslist Rochester Mn General, Citi Avp Salary Tampa, Goliath Dnd 5e, Monkey Kung Fu, Ambidextrous Shotguns For Sale, Trident Weapon Real, Sikh Funeral Invitation Templates, Roblox Games Greenville, Swagtron Ky07 Battery, Aquarius Man Expressing Feelings, Fancy Border Images, What Episode Is The Bank Scene In Umbrella Academy, Goodbye Love Letter To Married Man, Neck Gaiter Made In Usa Amazon, Carlos Mccullers Ii Age, Can Iguanas Eat Coconut, Crooked Media Store, Unique Quranic Names For Boy, Xenon Difluoride Shape, Telegram Profile Picture Size, John Boles Wife, Devdas Novel Pdf, Psychological Profile Of A Drug Dealer, Types Of Pepe, How To Drive Bicycle Fast In Gta 5 Pc, Welcome To The Dollhouse Google Drive, Superhero Words And Phrases, Colson Whitehead Quotes, Characters Named Emily, Naoto Ohshima Art, Gaetano Reina Cause Of Death, Do Soldier Beetles Bite, Sicko Mode'' Video Meaning, Abandoned Missile Silos In Pennsylvania, Frenchman's Bay East Beach Pickering Ontario, Kunika Sadanand Husband, City Of Sauk Rapids Water Bill, Toyota Yaris Electric Power Steering Problem, Greene County Assessor, Mirtha Jung Cause Of Death, Jessica Cruz Quotes, Nfl Challenge Under 2 Minutes, Nenje Nenje Song Lyrics Meaning In English, No One Came To My 21st Birthday Party, Ware Ma Police Scanner, David Griffin Golden Dawn, My Monopoly Ps4, Ellen Ziolo Height, Uk Payslip Template, Buena Park Crime News, Chef Feat 5e, Power Service Literature, Crust Evasion For Sale, Bob Iger Children, Ibex Spiritual Meaning, Super Dancer Chapter 2, Converse Run Star Hike, 1968 Ford F 100 Pickup, Dog Shaking Head At Night, Reigate And District Angling Association, What Happens If You Break The Rules Of The Midnight Game, Sophie Cunningham Salary, Dori Name Meaning Japanese, How Tall Is Gogeta,