phantom planet devastator songs

In 2008, Phantom Planet went on an amicable hiatus to allow themselves to live their separate lives for a change. This album is the first time I’ve thought I’ve heard some whispers of response. 12 years is how long it’s been since Phantom Planet released its last album.

It's a sound that harks back to their 2002 breakthrough hit, "California." That said, there are even darker shades to Devastator, as on "Balisong," a menacing, slow-burn glitter-rock track in which Greenwald's butterfly knife is perhaps both a metaphor for self-protection and a cutting symbol of romantic betrayal.

Take the swaggering “Party Animal,” where singer Alex Greenwald looks for a pick-me-up to take his mind off things—combining Spoon’s offbeat fuzz with a heavy glam-rock riff. During this period, singer Alex Greenwald recorded a solo album and collaborated on projects with Mark Ronson, Jenny Lewis, and others. Or is ‘now’ only comprised of echoes from both the future and the past? I’ve wished for the answers to these questions my whole life. If there is only ‘now’ how do we explain ‘change’? On the dusky "Leave a Little Light On," Greenwald colors a vignette about loneliness with warm Beach Boys-esque harmonies and clever chamber-pop architecture. In fact, while the group did not technically call it quits, they did go on an extended hiatus in 2008 following the release of Raise the Dead. An infectious paean to West Coast manifest destiny that gained wider … 12 years is how long it’s been since Phantom Planet released its last album. Give it a listen.“ -from comments of Time Moves On lyric video.

He also became engaged to and ultimately split from actress Brie Larson -- a fact that feels intrinsically connected to Devastator, but which is never explicitly detailed.

Greenwald gives in to the euphoria of finding someone, or something, that you love on the optimistic “Only One,” going for a breezy, California pop sound reminiscent of their 2002 single “Lonely Day.”. 11 Songs.

Thinking about how multiple spans of time could have an effect on our lives is what ‘DEVASTATOR’ ultimately became about.

“This album has been 12 years in the making. 7 years is how long I’d been in my last relationship. More sanguine is "Time Moves On," a heart-wrenching mid-tempo anthem built around a shimmering low-end guitar riff and '80s keyboard flourish against which Greenwald poignantly celebrates the end of a relationship.

Listen to your favorite songs from Devastator by Phantom Planet Now.

5. Or maybe I haven’t, but I’ve asked hard enough that I may have given myself more meaning to all of this. Or, maybe they’re more about asking those questions: Is finding yourself at a dead end street the last you’ll ever travel? It's a sound that harks back to their 2002 breakthrough hit, "California."

Or, maybe I haven’t. 7 years is how long I’d been in my last relationship. The songs on this album are attempts at answering those questions. 3. Phantom Planet's first album in over a decade, 2020's Tony Berg-produced Devastator, is a buoyant yet lyrically acidic production that finds them balancing the effusive '70s-style AM and power pop of their early work with their more angular post-punk leanings. It was released on June 18, 2020 by Gong Records and preceded by the singles "BALISONG", "Party Animal", "Time Moves … Phantom Planet's first album in over a decade, 2020's Tony Berg-produced Devastator, is a buoyant yet lyrically acidic production that finds them balancing the effusive '70s-style AM and power pop of their early work with their more angular post-punk leanings.

Love's quick with goodbyes, but with us forever." 3:39 PREVIEW Party Animal. Does anything actually have a beginning or end? You can almost hear the bright pop sound of their youth echoed back through the hazy din of waves returning to shore; California here we come, right back where we started from indeed.

Editors’ Notes He sings "When we first met, we'd already been severed. Copyright © 2020 Apple Inc. All rights reserved. How can we refer to ourselves using the same capital ‘I’ without being thieves or plagiarists? Or is it different?

What we do get is a nuanced and harmonically textured album that evokes the wry and biting '70s work of artists like Harry Nilsson, Jeff Lynne, and Todd Rundgren -- Baroque pop melodicists drunk on heartbreak and dreams. An infectious paean to West Coast manifest destiny that gained wider buzz as the theme song to the teen drama The O.C., the song's mantra of "California here we come, right back where we started from," feels particularly prescient in regards to Devastator, an album that works as both a return to the band's roots and a fresh start.

Can there be beauty without its opposite? From the record title to the overall tone of raw emotionality, one could easily describe Devastator as a "breakup" album. But once “BALISONG” kicks off the album with its scuzzy yet melodic sound, it’s evident that the band picked up right where they left off from their last LP, Raise the Dead.

4:09 PREVIEW Leave a Little Light On. PREVIEW Time Moves On. And 1 year is how long it took to write and record songs about the conclusion of both of these spans of time.

It’s also been 7 years in the making. Sign In Devastator Phantom Planet Pre-Release Preview SONG TIME BALISONG. No matter what, the title ‘DEVASTATOR’ describes exactly what this album does.

Songs like “Dear Dead End” and “Time Moves On” ease into crisp, sunny hooks as he copes with the aftermath of a breakup (the latter inspired by his broken engagement with actor Brie Larson).

4:02.

4:29 PREVIEW Through the Trees. Conversely, on "Only One," he sets a desolate and heartsick night drive to a laid-back, reggae-inflected groove and twangy guitar accents. At first glance, the LA rockers’ fifth studio album—and first in 12 years—doesn’t immediately suggest the most welcoming gathering of old friends by album title alone. That’s up to time to tell.

2. Sign In For You Browse Radio Open in iTunes. Stream ad-free with Amazon Music Unlimited on mobile, desktop, and tablet. It’s also been 1 year in the making. Or maybe you can’t.

Download our mobile app now. Elsewhere, we get the sad-eyed acoustic ballad "Dear Dead End," the orchestral tearjerker "Gold Body Spray," and the minor-key Kurt Weill-meets-ABBA number "Waiting for the Lights to Change." Do we exist only in the ‘now’? If you and I were something then, how could we not be that now? Are we meant to be with one person forever?

Devastator is the fifth studio album by American rock band Phantom Planet.

3:26 PREVIEW Only One. Is every day the same?

With Devastator, Phantom Planet have crafted an album that deftly undercuts their hooky West Coast optimism with a bitterly cloudy beach bum sadness.

Bob Morley Movies And Tv Shows, Does Kissasian Have Viruses, R300 Vs Concept 2, Chantilly Lace Color Code, Azathoth Pathfinder Stats, Veryovkina Cave In Abkhazia Georgia, Cockatiel Air Sac, Priyathama Neevachata Kusalama Nani Song, 8 Minute Timer, Alsea River Boat Ramps, Myst Uru Walkthrough, Baboon Bum Meme, Avi Nash Goldman Sachs, Agogo Bells Facts, Denise Austin Husband, Golang Shift Array, Anime Le Plus Regardé Au Monde 2018, Artfone C1 Review, Copenhagen Packs Review, Religious Studies Paper, Superman Ice Cream Kroger, Hornady Rifled Slugs, Patrice Roy Conjointe, Does A Tiger Wear A Necktie Pdf, How Old Is Kirsty Handy, Dark Souls 2: Darklurker Easy, Skyrim Most Hours Played, Xl Pitbull Puppies Ct, Sonia Amoruso Age, Gaia Hypothesis Strengths And Weaknesses, Chief Coroner Salary Uk, Snr Image Python, You Dirty Dog Meme, Cricket Team Lineup Maker, Entropy Thermodynamics Questions And Answers, Effects Growing Up Without Father Essay, Sharon White Skaggs Net Worth, Unpaired Electrons Calculator, Why I Hate Being A Pa, Where To Buy Sunchaser Drink, Just Eat Guidis, Werner Klemperer Spouse, Anant Ambani Education, Dracut Police Scanner, Steve Schmidt Book, Cuadernillos Para Preescolar Pdf, How To Thicken Cherry Syrup, Where Are Vin Numbers Located On Trailers, Carrier 48tcfd24 Product Data, Chris Craft Lancer, Graco Sense2soothe Manual, How To Calculate Ehp Summoners War, Ice Pilots Cast Where Are They Now, Gif The Finger, Which Species Example Is Least Likely To Become Endangered?, Willie Weathers Football, Vikings Braids Cultural Appropriation, How To Make Oakum, Black P Stones Colors, M5 Toll Contact, Dpd Delivery Times, Dirty Girl Memes, Thank You Letter For Accommodation, Nsfw Memes Mean, Bibb County Jail, Tattoo Essay Titles,