While reading The Purpose Driven Life tonight, I had the thoughts run through my mind that went something like this:
- If I really want this book to affect me, I need to ponder it through my day.
- If I want to ponder it, I need to have it condensed into ponderable form.
- I really appreciate the small ponderable devotions in books like that of Oswald Chambers’ My Utmost for His Highest.
- Why should that way of life change be limited to devotionals?
- Why not create an evangelism tract that is designed like 28 days of Utmost?
I’m thinking it might be a really worthwhile project. Just give people a verse or passage of the Bible and a little thought to ponder for a day, spend some time with them personally to work through any questions, and let God speak to them on His own schedule. Honestly, why would we think that major life transformation would really come about in 5-15 minutes with a gospel tract? Isn’t that why statistically, it takes a person 7 times hearing a gospel presentation before it really sinks in. What if we had an evangelistic tract that was simple, ponderable, and created to sink in over time?
I think I’m going to do it!