In my last post in this category, I talked about the Cycle of Rebellion that plagued the nation of Israel beginning with the death of Joshua. Here’s a recap of what that cycle looks like:
- The Jews forsake God and his laws for foreign gods and immorality.
- God forsakes the Jews to foreign governments and oppression.
- The people repent and return to God.
- God rescues them.
Once God began to establish kings in Israel, the cycle shifted quite significantly… for the worse. In the new world of the kings, the cycle went more like this:
- The king forsakes God and his laws.
- The people don’t care.
- Prophets arise to warn the king and the people.
- No one cares
That cycle will continue until the day when God sends foreign powers to invade and destroy the nation of Israel. Here are the details.