It has been a while since my last post here, but that’s been for a good reason. For the past month, I’ve been working on getting ready for Southside Church’s first public information meeting. We held it last Sunday evening at McCutcheon High School here in Lafayette.
For the past month, we have been putting together marketing materials, soliciting donations, securing the location, and organizing the service. We passed out by hand maybe 800 invitation postcards and mailed about 100 to our mailing list. We put flyers up at local businesses, we sent out email invitations, and we talked about it to everyone we knew.
It ended up being a really good evening. Here are the details:
- It was September 10, 2006, 6:30pm – 8:00pm in the choir room at McCutcheon High School.
- Tarah Kitchell of Tender Loving Childcare (TLCC) provided the children’s program.
- Doug Griffin, Kurt Kincanon, and Chip (?) provided the music.
- Buffalo Wild Wings donated 250 wings.
- Euro Cafe II donated about 6 thermal carafes full of gourmet coffee.
- LA Fireworks donated table coverings and such.
- Chick-fil-A donated 150 brownies.
- The Carpenter’s Son bookstore donated at least $100 worth of merchandise!
- One count had over 40 (43 I think) people in the main meeting room and we also had 11 kids and 3 workers outside with the children’s program. That put our total at nearly 60 for the evening which was exactly what we wanted in terms of numbers.
- Special guests were Brad Bush, pastor of Maple Ridge Community Church and chairman of TEAMM (Tippecanoe Evangelical Association of Ministers and Ministries), Gregory Hackett, pastor of First Assembly of God, Justin Hutts, associate pastor at Battleground Bible Church, and Gary Rohrmayer, director of Midwest Church Planting. My coach Rich Wollard wasn’t able to make it so he sent us a video clip that got lost somewhere in the tubes of cyberspace.
We sang some songs, some guests spoke for a few minutes, I gave a vision message, and then I entertained some Q&A. After that, everyone filled out a “level of interest” survey, we had a closing song, and Greg Hackett gave some final encouraging words and a closing prayer.
All in all, it was a great evening! I plan to post some video of it soon.
Thank you for your prayers.